This case presents rising Web 2.0 online networking in virtual universes, informal communication locales, and video sharing destinations, and urges understudies to investigate the open doors and dangers they exhibit for brands. The case permits understudies to think about the vital and strategic choices that go with promoting interchanges technique and to join data on customer conduct with a comprehension of brand targets, so as to survey and assess new online networking choices. Mark chief Margaret Foley is confronting an inexorably complex media environment in which her customary media arrange, concentrated on TV, print, and radio promoting, has turned out to be less viable because of declining groups of onlookers, expanded publicizing disorder, and shoppers blocking out. She is investigating developing Web 2.0 online networking alternatives to figure out whether they can better accomplish her marking and publicizing targets. Her test is to slice through the greater part of the buildup encompassing Web 2.0 and to break down the online networking's potential for her image by diving into the shopper needs and practices supporting Web 2.0 innovations.
1. What, if any, of the three social media plans should Foley pursue? Why?
2. What benefits would Foley gain from each of the three social media plans? What risks does each entail? How can Foley better reap the benefits and mitigate the risks of each of the programs?
3. How should Foley integrate social media into her traditional media plans? Should Foley take money out of traditional media (television, magazine, radio, Internet banner and search ads) to fund her social media programs? Why or why not?
4. How should Foley measure the results of her social media plans? Which media metrics are best and least suited for a Web 2.0 world?
5. Is UnME Jeans the right or wrong type of brand and/or product for Web 2.0? Why? What advantages does the brand have in this new cultural world? What disadvantages does it have?
6. How well do the social media plans address the emerging challenges of the rapidly changing media environment outlined in the case? What can you change in the social media plans to make them more effective for UnME’s target consumers?
7. What will you do for positioning this brand in the customer’s mind? What are your effective branding strategies for UnME?